Be Part of our History, Tradition, and Spirit
Firma Tegel Fabrik “Midden Java” (Tile Fabrication Company “Midden Java”) was jointly founded by Louis Maria Stocker & Jules Gerrit Commane in 1927.
It started production on December 16, 1929. The tiles quickly gained popularity and even at its outset the factory began supplying tiles to such historically significant buildings as the Kraton (Royal Palace).
In 1931, Jules Commane bailed out and sold his 50% of the shares to Ir.Liem Ing Hwie.
Around 1942 during the Japanese colonization much of Indonesia’s Dutch population left the country, including Louis Maria Stocker, thus leaving the entirety of Midden Java tile factory to Liem Ing Hwie.
Upon gaining independence in 1945 the Indonesian government seized the tile factory, however it was rightfully returned to Ir.Liem Ing Hwie two years later.
Production briefly halted in 1949 due to the presence of Dutch military aggression, but resumed not long after in 1950.
Then in 1957 the government took over all companies that were once owned by the Dutch, including Midden Java, which was placed under a specialized agency of the Ministry of Industry.
On June 20, 1963 the local government of DIY (Special Region of Yogyakarta) changed the name Firma Tegel Fabrik Midden Java to Pabrik Tegel & Beton Cap Kunci (Concrete Tile & Lock Factory “Cap Kunci”).
Ten years later in 1973 the factory was returned to the heirs of Ir.Liem Ing Hwie, the family of Bp. Suleiman.
1973 – 1997
Between the mid-70’s and 90’s the factory struggled to stay afloat as other options for tiling, such as ceramics, became cheaper and faster to produce. Furthermore the tile factory was not a priority in the family’s local business empire, so it lacked strong management and innovation.
1997 – Present
Lagging behind modern industrial competition the factory was almost lost to history when Matta Art & Craft, a local creative startup at the time, undertook its revitalization by shifting focus to the art market that it maintains today.
Under the determined guidance and creative vision of Mega Puspa Karang, the quiet but keen local artist, Matta Art & Craft not only revived the factory’s cement tile production by adding dozens of house-mixed colors and hand-crafted motifs, but also rapidly increasing the tiles’ popularity through mere word-of-mouth.
Production continued at the original factory until 2013 when it moved to a newly built factory near Jl. Kaliurang in the Pakem area. Through all the ups and downs Pabrik Tegel Cap Kunci continues to produce these tiles, carrying on their history, our history, and pleasing generations.
Be Part Of Our Story!